DATE TO BE CONFIRMED
- Basic equine digestion
- Nutrients: protein, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and electrolytes
- Feeding for hoof health
- Understanding pasture and hay and the nutrition they provide – it’s not just roughage
- Who are the NRC
- Limitations of soil, blood and hair testing
- Pasture and hay testing
- How to decipher a feed tag and supplement label
- Understanding common causes of laminitis; insulin resistance and hindgut carbohydrate overload
- PPID/Cushings horses
- Common feeding fads and myths
The day will be broken into 2 sessions
- Morning - will cover the topics above
- Afternoon – Carol will take questions from the audience
BYO Lunch, morning tea available for purchase.
Jen Clingly for registration
Carol Layton BSc M.Ed
Carol Layton (Balanced Equine) is an Independent Equine Nutritionist. Carol tutors students in Dr Eleanor Kellon’s VMD nutrition courses and is passionate about sharing her knowledge on how to feed horses optimally, to explain the many myths, fads and marketing so that feeding is simple, holistic and cost effective for all horses, whether they be used as high performance athletes or for breeding or those predisposed to laminitis.
Carol is a keen and successful endurance rider and together with trimmer Rob Howden run Balanced Equine Nutrition and Hoof Care. Her horse, Omani Mr Sqiggle was the 2009 National Points and Distance horse for her weight division. Together they have completed the 400 km marathon, Shahzada three times and many 80 and 160 km State Championship and Tom Quilty rides along with numerous best conditioned awards. The Big 3 Award comprising NSW State Championship, Shahzada and Tom Quilty was achieved in 2010.